SFDX Data Loader plug-in (SFDMU) is one of the latest and most powerful data migration tools for Salesforce and a great alternative for the earlier data loader application.
The SFDMU plug-in will be useful to populate your org (scratch/ sandbox/ dev/production) using the data imported from different org or CSV files.
The tool supports all the essential CRUD operations such as (Insert/Update /Upsert/Delete) as well as for various related sObjects.
The SFDMU comes with many advanced features that none of the existing tools could offer, and it will make your data migration a fast and seamless process.
Major Features of the SFDMU Tool:
- SFDMU supports migrating data directly from one Salesforce org to a different Salesforce org without needing the intermediate CSV files.
- It allows the migration of multiple objects at the same time.
- The tool is compatible with exporting/importing data to/from CSV files.
- It supports composite external Id keys.
- It does not need any special External Id field to update or upsert operations to bind relevant sObjects.
- The tool supports Object Mapping and Customized Fields when the name of the fields and objects in the Source and the Target vary.
- During data migration, the tool saves the Record Type for each record.
- The tool manages self-referenced fields, for example, Account.ParentId.
- Provides support for Full Person Account. Processes record sets containing mixed Business & Person Accounts.
- Supports the migration of relevant attachments, notes, and files, which includes binary data.
- Comes with a built-in data anonymization feature and replaces the original data source with random values while updating the Target.
- Enables customized binding of polymorphic lookup fields.
- Provides complete safety and security. The operations are performed on the client’s machine without any cloud interaction.
- The tool is fully configurable using a JSON file and it is user-friendly.
- It is quite fast and carries out processes for only a selected subset of fields and records to insert and update and does not touch anything else.
Installation of SFDMU
To use the SFDMU tool property, you have to install a GUI tool and the Data-Move-Utility plug-in to simplify the process:
The second one in the screenshot, the SFDMU Desktop App is a useful GUI tool that simplifies the use of SFDMU based on Electron.js.
Steps to Use the Tool
To run the tool, type the npm start command in the SFDMU-Desktop app:
The user needs to register and sign in:
After login, you need to select the source and destination file in the first step:
In the next step, you need to set the point of the migration:
The settings are:
- Object Fields
- Object Settings
- Fields Mapping
- Data Anonymization
The final step is to execute the migration.
Then the tool will display the execution steps during the migration process.
Overall, the SFDMU tool provides the most seamless way of data migration from various relevant sObjects between Salesforce orgs.