What is the Lightning Web Component (LWC)?
The Lightning web component introduced in Feb 2019 is Salesforce’s new programming model built on modern browser improvements or web standards.
These web components help to create custom, reusable HTML tags for web pages & apps.
The lightning component uses different components – The lightning web component & the Aura Component.
Lightning web component co-exists with the Aura programming model & delivers unparalleled performance.
It is highly useful for:
Improving productivity: Uses modern web language like templates, shadow DOM, Decorators, and custom elements.
Enhanced Performance: Web browser executes the code for a superfast experience.
As per the development in the last five years, there is a complete transformation in the web stack.
From 2014 to 2019, the superfast rise in standard web elements is phenomenal.
Salesforce Lightning web components are like icing on the cake. Now, work is handled efficiently by the web browser.
Lightning web components leverage templates, custom elements, Decorators, Modules, Rendering & events available in ECMAScript 7 & beyond.
Advantages of Lightning web component :
- Offers enhanced security
- Superfast & Light in weight
- Supports advanced browsers technologies like CSS3, HTML5
Aura Lightning Component:
Aura is a user interface framework that develops single-page applications on the Salesforce platform.
It develops reusable component units in the form of a plug & play component. Every aura component performs small tasks independently.
Many aura components work together to create a single application.
Aura Component Programming model offers excellent benefits like:
- Out-of-the-box components: Aura out-of-the-box components ensure that the app does not need optimization for different devices.
- Fast Development: Teams work faster with, out of an box component that functions hassle-free with different devices like mobile & desktop.
- Browser compatibility: Apps are compatible with the latest browser technologies like HTML5.
Benefits of Lightning Web component (LWC) over Aura Lightning Component (ALC)
- Site Loading Speed: The Lightning web component is hugely faster than the Aura component in loading web pages.
- Best performance: As LWC builts on web components, It makes LWC extremely lightweight & efficient in memory management. That’s the reason LWC runs much faster than Aura lightning components.
- Debugging made easy: Debugging is significantly easier for LWC than ALC. Different Salesforce discussion forums address & execute the step by step debugging topics very quickly.
- Easy to ramp: The absence of a different framework enables developers to learn LWC more easily.
- Inbuilt browser security features: LWC has inbuilt browser security features driving its out-of-the-box usage while Aura requires an event-driven programming model that is GUI dependent. It focuses on actions like button press & clicks determining the flow of movement. The Lightning web components support these actions.
- Data binding: Data binding is a technique that binds data sources from the provider and consumer together and synchronizes them. LWC supports two-way data binding that helps in coordinating how data moves between different components.
- Unit testing Support: LWC supports the unit testing framework.
- Versatility: Full encapsulation is available with LWC.
We have seen ten significant advantages of the Lightning web component over Aura lightning components. CEPTES is a Salesforce Silver consulting partner that can guide you as your strategic partner to speed up the business value of your Salesforce.com investment through consultation, digitization, and innovation. If you are thinking of growing your business using the Salesforce platform, then get in touch; we are happy to help you.